Saturday, January 22, 2005

the interview

I was interviewed a couple weeks back by the school newspaper at the high school where I work, and they finally released the issue with the interview yesterday. So, I thought I would share some of what they asked me. First, a little background. I work in a private school, and the part of the school I work in has grades 7-12. Mostly teenagers in other words. Now I have admit that I was somewhat apprehensive when they asked if they could interview me (I've only worked there since October-they usually interview new staff). Of course I was going to say yes, but I was worried about how my answers would be perceived by those who read it. I have no idea if parents read the paper, or if the principals and headmaster (it's a private school remember) read it, or whoever else. I find the atmosphere of the school extremely image-conscious, and extremely uptight. I guess that isn't too surprising given that it costs 18,000/year to send your child there.

So I decided that I would stick to the straight and narrow. I would not mention that when I went to high school my primary concern was saving every penny so that I could go on road trips to see the Grateful Dead (oh my god!!! he must have done drugs!!). Or that I think people that choose to drive SUVs and other gas-guzzling luxury cars are completely selfish (every kid gets dropped off in an SUV at this school). Or that even though I have a Master's degree in science and work in the science department, I find most of science rather boring. You get the idea.

A sampling of our exchange:

Her: What is your favourite element from the periodic table?
Me: I have no idea. But I'll say nitrogen, though I can't justify it.

Her: Do you ever make stylistic changes to your lab uniform?
Me: My lab uniform consists of a lab coat. No changes, except that I never wash it. It's kind of a tradition amongst science graduate students.

Her: What is your favourite holiday?
Me: Christmas, because I don't celebrate it but I still get the time off.

Her: What do you see ME doing with my life?
Me: An ambassador. (it's a private school remember-lofty expectations. she liked my answer)

Anyways, that's about enough. I wish I could say that I was hiding the exciting stuff.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SUV drivers are selfish? Ever try to shop for a family of four in a Volkswagen Jetta? I bet not.

January 22, 2005 at 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home