Wednesday, January 26, 2005

the underachiever

Have you ever experienced a co-worker, acquaintance, stranger, etc. say something to you like "You really could be doing something better with yourself"? I purposely did not include friends and family members in the above list for reasons that will shortly become clear. The impetus for this thought goes back to my post a couple of days ago entitled “The interview”. I was recently interviewed for the school newspaper where I work, and one of the questions regarded my education (I have attained a Master’s degree from a well-respected school). Now, given that when I applied for my current job, the listed educational requirement was a 1-year college diploma, I am certainly qualified for the position. However, since the interview was published, I have been approached by two co-workers, both of whom suggested (in not so many words) that I am working below my capabilities. One came right out and said “Do you ever feel like you are wasting your time?”

These are not the only two instances; even before the interview was published, at least two or three other people had raised the same notion. In every instance, I was left feeling rather awkward; while on one hand it is a compliment, on the other, it feels like a judgement. Not one has asked what it is that I want to do, or why I took this particular job; they have all assumed that since I am over-qualified for the position, I must feel unhappy, unfulfilled and perhaps even somewhat worthless. Projection maybe? Whatever it is, it bugs me. It is a situation completely different from a close friend or family member who knows you intimately and can therefore provide informed advice or support based on their relationship with you.

I remember reading a personal essay few years back that was published in the Globe and Mail (one of Canada’s two national newspapers). It was written by a man who had a Ph.D., and had done the academic thing for a few years before exchanging his keys to an ivory tower for those to a city bus. I remember him describing how he enjoyed the feeling of being out amongst people all day, earning a living, and then at the end of the day having the freedom (temporally and intellectually) to pursue other interests. I am starting to understand what he was getting at.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in the world, that there's at least one kindred spirit out there. Have enjoyed your blog so much that I'm adding it to my blogroll. Feel free to visit mine.

March 12, 2005 at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home